Part-time virtual startup lawyer, full-time entrepreneur.
I made my entrepreneurial jump in 2013—I resigned from a mid-size Kansas City law firm and became a full-time entrepreneur. In the years since, I’ve created and sold a legal marketing company, mass-produced my family’s BBQ sauce, mentored thousands of entrepreneurs and freelancers, and more.
I’m currently representing entrepreneurs in Kansas and Missouri through Pixel Law and building Contract Canvas, a digital-contract platform for creative professionals. Because of my wide real-world experience, I can provide incredibly practical advice to my law firm clients.
Most entrepreneurs and freelancers complain that law firms can’t keep up with modern business trends. That’s why I designed Pixel Law to run more like a business and less like a traditional firm. My pricing is transparent and I use fixed-fee, project-based billing whenever possible. I also use the same tools as you: Dropbox, Asana, G Suite, DocuSign, Xero, Stripe, and more.
Perhaps more importantly, while many attorneys focus on reasons you can’t do something, I try to provide “yes if” answers rather than just answering “no.”
I pay attention to what you want from your attorney.
Rather than billing in six-minute increments, I’ve standardized many of my services into “legal packages” and even include them on this website (I even list typical fees for many of them). And for entrepreneurs that aren’t ready (or don’t need) to hire an attorney, I even sell downloadable contract templates in the Pixel Law Contract Shop and I’ve published four ebooks and dozens of short guides.
- Board of Advisors & Policy Committee, KC Tech Council
- Policy Committee, Kansas City Startup Foundation
- Director, KC Legal Hackers
- Subject Matter Expert (Law), Kauffman FastTrac
- Expert Reviewer, Edison Awards
- Associate Member, The Freelance Exchange of Kansas City
- Judge, No Coast
- Judge, MECA Challenge
- Co-Host, American Royal Tech BBQ
- Mentor, UMKC Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Mentor, Startup Weekend Kansas City
- Mentor, The Sprint Accelerator
- Mentor, Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts
- Mentor, The Lean Lab
- Mentor, Coffee + Design
- Speaker, Global Entrepreneurship Week
- Speaker, ECJC Workshop Series
- Speaker, Kansas City Art Institute
- Speaker, WordCamp Kansas City
- Speaker, Kansas City Design Week
- Member, Think Big Coworking
- Member, WeWork
- Founder, Innovative Professionals for Entrepreneurs
- Graduate, KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy
- Member, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Missouri Bar
- Member, Kansas Bar
UMKC, School of Law
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 2010
Bachelors of Business Administration, 2005
- Recipient, WeWork Creator Award, 2017
- Finalist, WeWork Creator Awards, 2018
- Silicon Prairie Service Provider of the Year Finalist, 2013 & 14
- Top Ten People KC Entrepreneurs Should Meet, SPN, 2014
- Top Ten Law Firm Website, Lawyerist.com, 2014, 2018
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2020
- KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy, 2011-2012
- Most Outstanding Law Review Writing, 2010